*Udaipur:* Janardan Rai Nagar Rajasthan Vidyapeeth has remained in the spotlight over the past few weeks following controversy surrounding the tenure of Vice-Chancellor Prof. S.S. Sarangdevot, employee protests, financial allegations and a subsequent legal battle. In an interview, Kuladhapati and Kul Pramukh *Bhanwar Lal Gurjar* said Prof. Sarangdevot’s regular tenure ended on June 2. He clarified that Sarangdevot was not removed arbitrarily, but that the university followed the applicable rules after his tenure ended. Gurjar said employees had submitted a memorandum opposing an extension of Sarangdevot’s tenure, while another group wanted him to continue until a new Vice-Chancellor was selected. Accordingly, an order was issued allowing him to continue until the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor. According to Gurjar, Sarangdevot subsequently portrayed the order as a one-year extension, triggering resentment among employees and leading to a protest that continued for nearly two months. The matter was eventually resolved following intervention by Vallabhnagar MLA Udaylal Dangi, after which Sarangdevot announced at a press conference that he was voluntarily stepping down. Gurjar said Sarangdevot, however, did not formally submit his resignation in writing. The university subsequently cancelled the earlier order and assigned acting charge to senior professor *Manju Mandot*. On Sarangdevot’s nearly 14-year tenure, Gurjar said his initial period included about a year as acting Vice-Chancellor, followed by a three-year term and two subsequent five-year terms, taking the total tenure to around 14 years. He said the university is bound by UGC regulations and maintained that Sarangdevot could not continue indefinitely under the applicable rules. Gurjar also addressed allegations concerning university finances. He said employees had raised complaints before the UGC, the state government and the SOG, and that inquiries were underway. He alleged that approximately *₹6 crore* had been provided by the parent institution to the university as loans to meet salary and other financial requirements. The utilisation of these funds is now being examined. Meanwhile, Prof. Sarangdevot has approached the Rajasthan High Court challenging the action. Gurjar said the university has filed a caveat and will defend the institution’s interests. The next hearing is scheduled for August 20. Gurjar expressed confidence that, once the legal issues are resolved, Prof. Manju Mandot’s leadership will help restore stability and strengthen the university’s functioning. The final decision on Sarangdevot’s removal and the related legal issues will now rest with the Rajasthan High Court, while the financial allegations remain subject to inquiry.